This new exciting 12 month project started in April and has hit the ground running. The funding has come from Northern Gas Networks and I (Katy - confusing we know!) was brought on board to enable Yorkshire Energy Doctor to have more capacity to run sessions and reach more young people.
The project is aimed at 16 - 25 year olds specifically because when a big step is taken to live independently or move away from home very little, or no teaching is given around energy efficiency in the home.
Government statistics show that 1 in 4 households where the oldest person is under 25 have higher levels of fuel poverty than any other age group. We want to reduce this figure!
We want to improve knowledge and understanding of energy use in the home, including around how much things cost to run and ways to save energy, as well as how to shop around to get the cheapest deals and the grants and support that are available to help with energy bills.
This will ultimately:
● Generate financial savings on energy bills
● Reduce worry and anxiety around utility bills
● Reduce vulnerability to fuel debts
Below are some of the things we can offer and they can be tailored to specific needs
● Online and face to face group sessions
● Online and face to face 1:1 session
● Deliver training to staff who work with young people to make them feel confident to support young people with energy
● Raising energy awareness
● Create and share a ‘toolkit’ to help young people manage their bills and become more aware and energy efficient confident
● Encourage some young people to become ambassadors to share their energy knowledge and experience
We have already delivered 4 successful workshops and had many 1-2-1 refferals and we hope there will be many more to come!
If you are interested in working with us or want to find out more please contact us to discuss your needs